City of Mackinac Island

Mackinac County

Street filled with horse drawn carriages on Mackinac Island

Mackinac Island is a 4.35 square mile landmass located in Lake Huron in the Straits of Mackinac. The entire island is located within the corporate limits of the City of Mackinac Island. The overwhelming majority of the island, however, is opened by the state of Michigan. In fact, 82 percent is managed by the Mackinac Island State Park Commission, leaving the city only 18 percent of the island.

City of Mackinac Island Population Trends
Year Population
2018 471
2017 472
2016 471
2015 477
2014 485
2013 486
2012 489
2011 488
2010 492